Awesome 4.0 has been released on 2016-12-25. Please refer to the documentation section for news/changes and porting tips for your configuration.
What is the awesome?
awesome is a highly configurable, next generation framework window manager for X. It is very fast, extensible and licensed under the GNU GPLv2 license.
It is primarly targeted at power users, developers and any people dealing with every day computing tasks and who want to have fine-grained control on theirs graphical environment.
A window manager is probably one of the most used software in your day-to-day tasks, with your Web browser, mail reader and text editor. Power users and programmers have a big range of choice between several tools for these day-to-day tasks. Some are heavily extensible and configurable.
awesome tries to complete these tools with what we miss: an extensible, highly configurable window manager.
To achieve this goal, awesome has been designed as a framework window manager. It's extremely fast, small, dynamic and heavily extensible using the Lua programming language.
We provide an easily usable and very-well documented API to configure and define the behaviour of your window manager.
Features and non-features
- Very stable, fast and small codebase and footprint;
- First window manager using asynchronous XCB library instead of the old synchronous Xlib: make awesome less subject to latency than many window managers;
- Very well documented source code and API;
- No mouse needed: everything can be performed with keyboard;
- Real multihead support (XRandR, Xinerama or Zaphod mode) with per screen desktops (tags);
- Implement many Freedesktop standards: EWMH, XDG Base Directory, XEmbed, Desktop Notification, System Tray;
- Doesn't distinguish between layers: there is no floating or tiled layer;
- Use tags instead of workspaces: allow to place clients on several tags, and display several tags at the same time;
- A lot of Lua extensions to add features: dynamic tagging, widget feeding, tabs, layouts …;
- D-Bus support;
- And more.
This gonna be LEGEN... wait for it... DARY!